A PDF version of this job posting is available here.
This job requires the individual to cover the Library Clerk/Assistant position when staff are on leave or vacation, or when additional staff are needed for programs and activities. As a Casual Clerk, you will work closely with other staff to provide a range of public services including:
- Circulation, interlibrary loans, and assisting patrons looking for materials, using computer workstations, faxing, scanning, photocopying, and printing.
- Assisting patrons with technology such as laptops, tablets, and e-readers.
- Managing activities at the library, including opening and closing.
- Picking up and dropping off mail and newspapers.
- Counting cash and maintaining desk statistics at end of shift.
- Overseeing the status of patron accounts according to library policy and guidelines.
- Creating and checking overdue lists and contacting patrons as required.
- Ordering, pulling, and preparing outgoing interlibrary loans to be mailed.
- Preparing new books for circulation.
- Sorting, repairing, cleaning, and shelving books.
- Prioritizing the health and safety of library patrons and other building occupants.
- Maintaining business machines by replenishing supplies and calling for support when needed.
- Recording statistical information for programs.
- Supervising volunteers.
- Assisting in Library programs, including child, youth, and adult programs.
- Additional duties as assigned by the Director.
Direct reporting relationships:
Casual Clerks report to the Library Director.
- High School diploma.
- Strong customer service, interpersonal, and communication skills are essential.
- Strong computer skills are required (e.g., knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, internet, and email). Knowledge of Microsoft Publisher and Adobe products would be an asset.
- Ability to undertake moderate physical activities that may include bending, reaching, and lifting moderate weight.
- Available to work weekdays and Saturdays.
- Able to work on your own.
- Valid BC Driver’s License would be an asset.
Terms of Employment: A criminal record check is required.
Pay Range: $16.30/hr
Resumes can be dropped off in person at the Elkford Public Library, 816 Michel Road, Building C, Elkford, B.C. or emailed to email@example.com with Casual Clerk in the subject heading. The position will stay open until filled.
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in these positions. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.